Our History

Img_3904-medium

1735 to now

Our congregation dates back to 1735 when German-speaking immigrants worshipped here along Bieber’s Creek in the hills of Berks County, presently known as the village of Dryville.  In 1747, a logcabin was erected upon land donated by Henry Mertz.  This portion of land was designated as “God’s Acre.”  What first began as a tiny German Lutheran congregation has grown to over 300  baptized Christians who are joined together with millions of other Lutherans of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.  We are a church with our roots in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

Our current church was built in 1915 and an education addition was constructed in 1964. In 2015 we are working on the next phase of our physical structure. Our plans will create  better and more secure offices, a new social hall and kitchen along with an improved space for our daycare. Our sanctuary seating will be modified to improve spacing, comfort and create a larger chancel. Look on these pages under capital campaign and on our campaign website: christmertzcampaign.org for more information. 

By God’s grace, we will continue to be led by the Holy Spirit to praise our Lord and serve our congregation and community. The Reverand Cheryl F. Meinschein is the pastor of Christ Mertz Lutheran Church.