Our History

Img 3904 original

1735 to now

Our congregation dates back to 1735 when German-speaking immigrants worshipped here along Bieber’s Creek in the hills of Berks County, presently known as the village of Dryville.  In 1747, a log cabin was erected upon land donated by Henry Mertz.  This portion of land was designated as “God’s Acre.”  What first began as a tiny German Lutheran congregation has grown to over 300  baptized Christians who are joined together with millions of other Lutherans of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.  We are a church with our roots in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

Our current church was built in 1915 and an education addition was constructed in 1964. In 2016 we started work on the next phase of our physical structure. We have created better and more secure offices, a new social hall and kitchen along with an improved space for our daycare. Our sanctuary seating will be modified to improve spacing, comfort and create a larger chancel. Our renovations will be complete in the summer of 2018. Look on these pages under capital campaign for more information. 

By God’s grace, we will continue to be led by the Holy Spirit to praise our Lord and serve our congregation and community. The Reverand Cheryl F. Meinschein is the pastor of Christ Mertz Lutheran Church.